9/1/09

Having someone else Paint for you

So, 2 posts in 2 days. Crazy isn't it? This is something I have been thinking about for a while. Paying someone else to paint your mini's for you. There are a lot of commission painters out there, such as Kerry at War Painter Studio. Most of these people have comparable pricing and are things that I could afford. Not all at once of course, but slowly over time.

And alot of these painters are amazing, with skills that far exceed mine. Of course, my skills are crap BECAUSE I don't paint or have not painted much. Hehehe. I realize this.

So I have been considering having someone paint my minis. Why? Several reasons:

1. I got the game to PLAY the game, not really to paint. Conversly, I can't stand seeing a nicely painted army against my STEEL TROLLS.
2. I have nearly zero patience for things like painting
3. I have nearly no time to do this. I have 2 days off a week and generally have errands to do
4. I am a wee bit of a perfectionist and get really bothered when things dont go my way

Of course, there are a few benefits to painting on my own.

1. I get the satisfaction that I did it. That these are MY trolls painted by MY hand.
2. Practice makes perfect!
3. If someone goes WOW I can say "Yup I did it" and get a confidence boost.

So there are pro's and con's to any choice.

What do you all think?

5 comments:

  1. I think it depends on why you play Hordes. For me, I've dabbled in 40K for 10 years and all I did was paint and make terrain, so they always have a bit of appeal for me. WM is the first game I actually prefer to play! While I do have a hard time getting stuff painted, I do gain a lot of satisfaction from the one :*) I've completed. I also like to do alt schemes.

    My friend/co-blogger Phill commissioned a Castigator and it looked great! But now that he's painted his own army, it doesn't match, so he's facing the prospect of selling it and buying a new one to paint in his own style/scheme. It's a shame, too, because it looks really great (and cost twice as much as the model...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. But if it'll get your army painted faster than you would, and you can afford to do it, I say go for it. Plus, you're recycling into the hobby so that painter can buy more of his own minis (hopefully).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand those concerns. Also, I am considering moving this blog over to Wordpress SO I CAN RESPOND TO COMMENTS rather then JUST the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I personally have decided to have my entire WM army painted by other people for the exact reasons you list.

    I've even decided to let multiple people do it, just so it gets done sooner. I am blessed enough to have the disposable income, so why should I even bother with the part of the hobby that I don't like?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll let you see my legion tonight. I'm dipping them, and they look pretty damn good if I do say so myself. It saves a LOT of time on painting, and since there are no painting scores in PP tournaments, you're golden. Dipping would work really well with Trolls as well.

    -Mike

    ReplyDelete